Over the past few months, our team has been judiciously testing a new, faster, speedier, and more cost-efficient backend for the infrastructure that powers Crate.
In the process of cleaning up the code behind our web application (both backend and frontend), we have made the entire site faster and more fault-tolerant.
Some of the features include:
- Much larger practical file size limit (5TB). To our knowledge, no other file-sharing site on the Internet supports files this large (except Amazon S3, of course, upon which our service is backed :) ).
- 256-bit SSL encryption from end-to-end for both uploads and downloads, for everyone you share files with. This has been our most requested feature for corporate environments.
- Much speedier uploads.
- More social features baked into the core of the site.
- Upload-to-email feature for Pro members.
We’ve also made some big changes to our pricing. In a move that may shock the world, we have decided to axe our free plan. You can read more about this decision on our plans page.
To make this transition easier for existing free users, we have absolutely slashed our pricing, from 80%-90% of their previous values.
- Basic plan is now $10 / year (from $48)
- Plus plan is now $20 / year (from $144)
- Pro plan (previously “awesome”) is now $50 / year (from $720)
We hope you enjoy the new changes, and look forward to helping people share files on the Internet for a long time to come.
As always, if you have any issues, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What this means for AppSumo Lifetime users
All of you are locked in for 10GB storage, for life. Since we introduced transfer pricing, all AppSumo users will additionally get 1GB transfer per month for free. Past that threshold, you can choose to enter a credit card and we will continue serving your files. Each GB transferred past 1GB will cost $0.50 / GB / month.
Existing Paid users
Since our new plans don’t transfer over from the old plans (and they are a lot less expensive!), we have cancelled subscriptions to our old plans (and have refunded for time that you didn’t pay for). If you’d like to continue using Crate, just re-subscribe on the plans page and you should be good to go!